MDWrites

Welcome! Opinions on family, faith, life, politics and now, Christian Fiction

Fighting Goliath

Posted by MDViews on August 2, 2012

I’m asking for prayer, especially the week of September 10-14, from those who may know me and my situation.

I formerly worked for a large healthcare company in Minnesota. In August of 2010, I gave a presentation to the medical staff (called grand rounds) on the Oath of Hippocrates. My talk so offended the sensibilities of some of the doctors and staff at my company that two weeks later I was dismissed. No warning.

I’m now in a legal dispute with them over my departure–binding arbitration, actually. The hearing is September 11-14.

Through the process of this action, I’ve learned that they contend I was also a bad doctor (not so!) and I’ve learned that my dismissal was actually the decision of one of my former partners who didn’t hear or read my talk. I’ve also learned that my pro-life views and moral stand on issues of patient care were a determining factor in my departure.

That’s about as much as I want to say about this issue now. I intend to write about this after it’s all over, win or lose. And, of course, I could lose.

God, in His providence, promises in Romans 8:28, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” I rest on that promise–not that I think I must win in order for “all things [to] work together for good”–but I know that if I lose, the loss will be God’s “good” for me. I pray I can rejoice and accept such an outcome should it occur.

My life verses are from Habakkuk 3:17-18 which read, “Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.” (ESV) It’s one of the clearest explanations of what my attitude should be toward suffering as part of God’s family. I have great peace in knowing my God is in control and, win or lose, my response will be the same. “…I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.”

And, win or lose, I pray I can bring glory to His name.

9 Responses to “Fighting Goliath”

1. MDViews said

Thank you for your kind words. God truly is a stronghold in times of trouble.

Matt A.

2. Erica said

Our family of 8 plus one on the way is praying for you. Heavy burdens, yet God knows the outcome already.

Your stand and care for life are so very rare (unfortunately). Amidst a medical profession where so many have little respect for life, you are standing as a beacon for the Lord to speak through. It is sad to see that among the OB-GYN profession there are not many that truly care for life (as you clearly do!)…all while they are delivering new lives into the world. It is truly awful and makes my stomach churn. God has given you conviction and a platform that few have, and you use it well. Thank you!

Regarding your abilities as a doctor…they are completely off base. Your care, kindness, and support have meant so much to us in this current pregnancy! What it says to me is that those who accuse you of this have no idea what else to try!

Psalm 9:9-10 – “The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.”

Praying God’s strength for you,
    Dan and Erica H. and children

3. Gary Moberg said

Matt, you are facing exactly what Paul promised would happen to all those who would choose to stand for the truth, “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (II Timothy 3:12). Yet even now amidst the persecution you can consider yourself blessed, whatever the outcome of the legal dispute, since Peter gives these encouraging words in I Peter 4:13, “If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.” May that Spirit of glory sustain and strengthen you as you fight the fight of faith for the glory of His glorious name. I love you brother.

4. MDViews said

Thank you, Heidi, for your kind words and support.
    Matt A.

5. You are the best, most caring doctor! It’s saddens me to hear that such a good doctor has this to deal with. I will keep you in my prayers and hope to hear some good news in the near future.

Heidi Siebenaler

6. MDViews said

Thank you for your kind support.
    Matt A.

7. lindsayjo87 said

My family and I will also be keeping you in our prayers! You are anything but a bad doctor. I met you in the ER in ’07, while having an ectopic pregnancy. I didn’t know you from Atom, and you held my hand while I cried. No “bad” doctor does things like that. Actually, most doctors don’t do things like that anymore. I have been a patient of yours since then. After coming across your blog, it truly amazes me that you are the same person in the office, as outside. You truly do care for your patients, you are gentle, kind-hearted, and most importantly, a man of God! You have blessed the lives of many people, and God has a plan for yours. I wish you all the best!

8. MDViews said

Thank you for your kindness. I also no longer prescribe the birth control pill.
    Matt A.

9. Joan Sandkamp said

my husband and I will pray for you . Catholics are under seige.
    Dr and Mrs Virgil Sandkamp ( Virgil is a retired family practice physician who decided not to prescribe the pill in his last few years of practice)